Saturday, December 29, 2012

At the end of this road

It was a dark and stormy night...

Unlike the previous uses of this one-liner, this tale is one of warmth and victory, not horror nor tragedy, though I initially thought it would happen that way.

I gazed out the window of my workplace with worry gaining a restrictive hold on the easy breathing of my lungs and the free beating of my heart. The white fluffy stuff that usually crafted a winter wonderland was creating a nightmare; it rained down so furiously it seemed that the night sky was filled with more white than black, and its residence on the roads was accumulating at an alarmingly fast rate, and the parking lot served as an ice rink for out-of-control cars and screeching tires.

And I still had 3 hours to go before I could leave and attempt the looming terror of the slippery and dangerous drive home.
 If was bad now, what would it be like then?
 Would my workplace mind if I just slept over?

 

As the time came for me to venture out into the freezing night, I took on a new spirit I knew was necessary to make the drive: one that was not my own, one that was stronger, better, wiser, braver. One that trusted that God can do all things if I even have a small ounce of faith that He will deliver me.

I drove carefully, not exceeding 25 mph. A slip here, a slide there, carefully maneuvering my wheel, each move having an intention of safety, a spirit of caution. I acknowledged that spirit of courage each moment, with each rising wave of fear about to crash my calm, it was subdued.

I believed every second, and every second He saved me.

As other drivers far less fearful and cautious than I whizzed past my vehicle on the highway, nearly sending me into snow banks, sending my pulse into wild flutters, I stayed focused and faithful in something I could not see, but in a warmth I could feel far more than the icy winds and frozen droplets from the sky.

As I drove through miracle after miracle of being saved from frightening circumstances battling invisibly in the air, I finally reached my driveway. Spirit shaken, I steadily let a sigh of victory escape my lips.  

Greater still was the welcome I received.

Before I could even exit my car, my door swung open and the smile of my anxious father waiting up into the wee hours of the morning confronted me. The door swung open as I carefully worked up the steps, and before I could enter the warmth of my house, the warmth of an embrace surrounded me. "I am so glad you made it. I was worried about you."

And all I could think was, this is what it will be like at the end of this scary and daunting life journey; after a lifetime of believing I will more than make it through and staying focused on faith; when the doors of my Father's kingdom swing open and I am welcomed into His arms. When I am home.

Home at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment