Friday, June 21, 2013

A Letter to my Girlfriends

Lately I've been basking in the sunshine-y warmth of the blessing of girlfriends. Whether old or new, rekindled or ongoing, I've been treasuring every coffee date, every late night call, every letter written, every never-ending giggle for no good reason, and praising God for all of it.

Here is a letter to any girlfriend of mine, because there are so many words and moments are so few and my heart is rejoicing in you today:

Dearest friend,

Do you know that you are an immeasurable blessing in my life? You are a gift from God to me and all you meet, and it is beyond a privilege to have our lives overlap, intertwine, and resonate. I cherish every memory, and treasure all those to come. 

Do you know that you are beautiful? You are fearfully and wonderfully made by a God who loves you more than you could fathom. Do you believe that today? I pray that you do, because you deserve that freedom, that pristine peace. I know your heart weighs with burdens, insecurities, worries, doubts. As we hold hands navigating the frightening twists and turns of our journey, this lifetime we are given, know that your footing is set and you have a home and you are safe and secure in all things. This is the big lesson I've learned this year and I hope you'll share it with me. Let it shine through that smile that blesses every eye who beholds it and let it radiate throughout your lovely frame, a frame serving a purpose each moment that you breathe. 

Do you know that you are strong? Even when you think you cannot handle anything more, even when you feel so inadequate, not good enough, lacking because you don't meet the world's heartless requirements or achieve the goals you've set your hopes in, do you know that your life is rich? I pray that you know that you were made for an extraordinary purpose. Knowing you has inspired me that this truth is beyond true, because I've watched you in our friendship, blossoming into who God made you to be, so keep your eyes lifted to Him and find that strength, drink in the joys unending. You deserve it. You are living on borrowed time, sister, so live and love with me and laugh the cares away and know that you are known and share in the joy of being more than a conqueror with me. 

Do you know that you are kept? That there is someone who knit you together in the womb, who numbered your days, who makes every heartbeat pump and draws every inhale and exhale from and into your lungs? I pray that you do, because there is a God who can call you friend, who longs for you to cast your heavy burdens on Him. As I figure out what that means, will you leap crazy with me? Faith is scary from the outside but it is the fullest life on the inside. 

With all love I cannot wait to see you, wherever you may be, or however long it has been since we talked. Do you know that you have a sister who rejoices in your existence and loves you? I pray you do, because it's true. 

Much love, always praying, always smiling when I recall our friendship,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment