Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Reunion to Remember

The Lord works in such strange and marvelous ways.

 And sometimes we are able to delight in the way the moments and months and chances and rejections and turnarounds all mesh harmonious in a way that could not be woven more beautifully, more perfectly.

I got the most in the magnificent delight in my branching out last night by faith.

You see, as I am about to go off to school, a feat that seemed too good to be true at one point, I remember how far God's love took me from that point of hopelessness, how extravagantly He overtook me with His grace not even a year ago, how He sent me an angel while the skeleton of me wept in a hospital bed.

That angel still walks the earth sharing her faith like a true soldier of Christ, passionate in her love for a Savior, and her name is Anna, and I wanted to just thank her.

Thank her for being God's faithful servant.
 Thank her for taking a chance, having to close the door of the hospital room to pray with me so we would not get in trouble, not knowing if I would be fruitful in my walk, not knowing if I would accept Christ, but having true tear-filled eyes of faith, lips proclaiming endless "Hallelujiahs," singing lullabies in her native tongue and in mine about God's great love, speaking unshakeable truth about having the victory in Christ, taking a chance and allowing God to change my life forever, because she was faithful,and because He is so, so good.

Heart pounding, fingers shakily punched out the phone number retrieved from a website, and another website, then being referred to a different department, then her manager leaving her a message.
What if she doesn't remember me? 
What if I got the wrong Anna?
What if she doesn't want to meet with me?
What if she thinks I'm some crazed psychopath?

Still God's reassurance ripples through me like a serene pond feels the ripples after a stone is tossed in. I called you to bless one who blessed you, and you will.
Simple as that.

And last night I found myself parking in the Baystate parking garage, going in, asking the front desk where the cafeteria was, and doing my best to recall what Anna looked like, meeting her for her dinner break. On the phone she hadn't remembered me at first, but was sure that she would once she saw me, and on faith I went.



Upon entering the cafeteria, instantaneously springing from her chair, eyes already glistening with tears of joy, arms outstretched in a snugly fitting hug and a welcome worthy of a long-lost family member, or a forever-close friend.

"God has opened my eyes, it all comes back to me now," her clear, song-bird voice exclaimed, "I remember you! But you look so different, you look so alive! God has healed you."

And immediately I was spilling, gushing in gratitude, rejoicing in this moment God had made. As I spoke her eyes shining with tears, gaze so direct, again Hallelujiahs frequenting her smiling lips.

"I wanted to come here to thank you for being God's faithful servant, for taking that chance in the hospital that night when you prayed with me and told me the story of the woman at the well," I explained with a grin that could not be cleaned off my face for anything.

"Yes!" she gushed, "And I wrote you verses."

"You did," I continued, "I read them every day, and they helped me so much. I still have them. I just wanted to thank you because that night was the night I accepted Christ. I was baptized this year, I am going to a Christian college, I'm thinking about being a missionary teacher, and I've fallen in love with Jesus Christ."

"Praise God," she whispered over and over, "Hallelujiah! And thank you for opening the door for me to share. It was God in both of us."

Then sat up in her chair as I gave her a copy of my testimony with her in it, she looked at pictures of my baptism, fists pumping in the air, and she said, "You really kicked Satan in the butt, didn't you!"

 

 

We laughed and she collected herself and took my hands and said, "You are going to produce so much fruit in you ministry. You are going to bless countless children in your teaching ministry, and you have the victory. It shines in you, and it is beautiful.

"And you know," she continued, "Satan's words are all lies. Remember that. We just have to tell him exactly what he is. A rotten, filthy liar who wants to steal the victory from us. For Christ has a wonderful plan, and it is going to do more than you could ever imagine."

Before I left, she prayed blessings over me. She thanked God for me coming to encourage her to continue sharing the Good News fearlessly, and she praised God for the miracles He's shown her. I was now near tears, knowing this moment was one of them, where time stopped and we relived the joys of Christ alone, not reliving the past, not rejoicing in the future chapter I'm about to dive into, but just Christ here and now, and what victory He gives in each breath, in each prayer, in each chance taken. 

Only having a thirty-minute dinner break, she gave me her address to write letters, wished me infinite blessings in a hug that did not want to let go, and then before saying goodbye, pulled away from the hug and asked, "Rachel, are you married?" "No," I laughed. "It's coming soon then," she said, "I can feel it! And I want to be invited!"

Laughter, smiles, and that dream of a reunion came to an end. Until next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment