Friday, January 3, 2014

Christians as Sales-people

Today is my last day of work until the summer,
the last day selling things and making the lackluster products appear more shiny, brighter, faster, better than everything else of it's kind,
the last day manipulating words, using strategies and techniques, bending over backwards with near desperation, all to get someone to change their mind, to accept what I offer them.

I love to sell things; it's kind of like a game to me. I love it despite the reactions from people who feel pestered and don't like being prodded with my offers of discounts and coupons and deals. Some cut me off mid-sentence with an annoyed, "No." Some roll their eyes, become more and more infuriated and annoyed with every word I speak.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't really mind these reactions. They're just an answer to my prayers to the Lord, asking me to love even when it's hard to. And boy does it get hard to sometimes working in retail. Plus the holiday season can be a stressful time of year, I understand when they are short-tempered.

No, what bothered me is this:
One slow day at work, gazing off into the book shelves and breathing in the scents of Starbucks coffee, I realized this is how many people view evangelizing Christians: as annoying, relentless salespeople.

Feeling they must spruce up the product (the Gospel), feeling they must manipulate words and use strategies and techniques, bending over backwards all to make someone trust Jesus Christ as the Lord and treasure of their life. Using a certain formula to follow, looking for more sure-fire ways to make a sale, get a pat on the back, increase their conversion rates and disregard the feelings of the person they speak to in the process.

Yikes.

If there's one lesson I've learned this semester, with heaping piles of grace and mercy in the messy process, it's our call to share the Gospel, to win crowns for Christ-- and may I emphasize, for Christ. This my calling, my purpose as a believer and follower of the God of gods, the Mighty Savior King.

Yet, as I spend my school days in a rich Christian environment, I see more and more of this task becoming all too similar to the work of competitive salespeople.

Where emphasis is placed on the methods, the new and innovative ways to sell the Gospel to people, where it is within the messenger's power to change the heart of the person so that they may receive and dedicate their life to the Gospel, where converts are prizes and the power of Christ the King is diminished. Where you too can accept Jesus Christ as Lord, ensure eternity in Heaven, and as an added bonus He'll heal your illness, make your life purposeful, and make you a philanthropist and high self-esteem.

Yikes, again.

I urge my believing brothers and sisters to boldly share the Gospel. It's part of the privilege and joy of knowing Jesus.

But I ask you to consider what John the Baptist's job was as we take on our own calling to serve the King of Kings:

"[This is Zechariah speaking to his newborn son John] You, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High God. You will go ahead of the Lord to prepare the road for Him, to tell His people that they will be saved, to have their sins forgiven." -Luke 1:76-77

To prepare the road for the Lord, not to make the way for ourselves.
To prepare the road for the Lord to move, to work, to bestow His grace and power.
To tell the people they will be saved,
not to make them saved,
not to convince them to be saved.

Because the truth is, we couldn't make others saved even if we tried. 
Because the truth is, only the Lord holds the power to soften hardened hearts and open blind eyes to the glorious salvation He offers.
Because the truth is, we are not salespeople, we are servants, we are not winning converts, we are making disciples.

And the prize is not the conversion rate, the prize is Jesus Christ and his glorification.

It all reminds me of some words of Charles Spurgeon. Though he talks about apologetics here, I think the same principle applies. He said,

"Defend the Bible? I would just as soon defend a lion! Unchain it and it will defend itself!"

Sell the Gospel? I would just as soon try to stop a mighty lion charging to save the sinner's heart.
I just unchain it and let it go, because it is far stronger than I, and far mightier than any words, strategies, or ambitions I could possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment