Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Does grace scare you?

It's a humbling priviledge to share God-whispers with you here.
To share a message with no agenda, no secret motivatoin or rhetorical machinery to win over an audience by writing skillful and cunning.
To just let the ink pour into a journal like water through a faucet,
like God's message through this weak human heart with holes galore, more open to receive His whole promises, His strong messages.

After a night of sharing with sisters at my favorite Bible study--
which is not anything like the Bible studies I've known; it's a God encounter, a time to close the eyes and breathe in a Savior and feel His grace vibrate over the walls of your lungs and your vitality--
after praying in a community that I'm so thankful for,
after praying that I would know His love, oh, He answered me so suddenly.

Did you forget about my grace?
He says
To me,
to you,
to all of us humans who complicate the one truth that's bursting wild with joy and solid promise.

Did you forget about my grace?
That ooey gooey goodness, the filling that you never knew existed before you knew Him? 

Don't qualify it.
Don't earn it.
Listen to it.
Soak it up, indulge in the gift you don't deserve but have abundantly overflowing.
He calls me.

And then that moment when God can plant a new seed in the heart that seems to rumble and erupt from the soil furiously, becoming a rainforest from a seedling in a split second;
a morsel of truth that could change everything;
to me it sounded like this:

Does it scare you that you don't deserve it?

How the Lord read my heart in that moment.

Does it scare you that you can't earn My Love?
That's not my Love.

Because His perfect love casts out all fear.

And He knows I feel like I'm falling every time I take those steps to let go.
He knows that I am so afraid of losing grip, holding it all together.
 But that's exactly what grace requires.

Unearned.
Not gained by performance.
Not a set of qualifications, a list I can meet.
Nothing I can do.

It takes me letting go to know that grace never lets go.

 My dear perfectionist, type-A, control-loving friends,
the ones who feel this heart, who might know or might have known these words I write here tonight-

Don't forget the grace that's always there. Let go, because grace is letting go to know that He's never letting go of you.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment