Saturday, February 16, 2013

Why Smile?

"I will rejoice because you saved me."
-Psalm 9:14 (GNT)

Cynical I know, but on worry-days I would sometimes think words filled with bitter.
What reasons do I have to smile? as I dutifully plaster a "Christian" face where lips upturn and artificial joy radiates through my brightest eyes.   

I try to replicate the warm that is supposed to dwell in my soul while my heart freezes over with worries galore:

Where will I go to college?

Will I ace my MTEL exam?

Will I have time to go to that church event tonight? With all this homework to make up?

What will I eat today? Will I have time to work out enough this week?

Am I doing my ministry in vain? Am I making an impact?

Do I love enough?

Will I ever move out?

Will I be a good enough teacher some day?

Am I reading my Bible enough? Praying? Being Christian, enough?

But what lies at the heart of it all I fail to realize all too often, due to the build up of these useless and futile worries that pile up one by one.

Christ crucified.

Ah yes, that's what that "Christian" word means.

"For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified."
-1 Corinthians 2:2 (NASB)

Why do I rejoice? Why, true rejoicing dwells not in the college I get to go to.
It dwells not in what I eat, or how slender my figure appears in a piece of glass. 
Not in getting the letter "A" written on a report card.
Not even in what I accomplish in ministry. (If that's what I'm looking for by doing ministry, well I've got it all wrong.)
Not in time,
nor money,
nor beauty,
not even life itself!

True rejoicing dies and lives again on a cross.   

This joy, so simply stated, and so vastly meant, should be the thing that propels me into a joyous dance that I carry with my with each heart beat. With each step. With each action and word and feeling and thought.

Yes, and the sweetest part of this sweetness is that it cannot be taken away by sin or pain or even death itself. 

For this joyous sacrifice, this miraculously jovial salvation, is far more than enough for lifetimes upon lifetimes!

For it means eternity.  

3 comments:

  1. We all have those days, thanks for the beautiful reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel..... let me address 1 of Your concerns, Yes,Yes,Yes, You make a difference in Your ministry, I Love that at Your "Young Years", how You have so much Love for the less fortunate and are willing to go out of Your way to make the "LESS FORTUNATE" feel so welcome and wanted. I am very honored to have you on this team. Your smile and friendliness make these people have a few minutes of feeling LOVED in a world where they don't have much else

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Pat. That was SO encouraging, God's grace is so great, that He would use me to show His love to these people. God has definitely placed a burden for this ministry on me and I am honored to be a part of your team. Thank you for all you do, and blessing my life with fellowship and a common desire to serve ( :

    ReplyDelete