Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Comfort as the world crumbles

Coffee mug lets steam sift through the creamy beverage, and candle flame flickers jolly, bouncing up and down. In silence the clock directs each second onward into time with a ticking, and I curl into comfy couch.



For a moment with you, all is still.

"There is nothing good man can do when everything falls apart."
-Psalm 11:3 

And then this truth punctures my soul deep.

I am a helpless babe. Truly in control of nothing. A trifling, fragile insect crawling, a flimsy, frail autumn leaf that stands no chance against even the gentlest breeze. Too small to mention. Next to nothing, if not nothing at all.

This makes His goodness so miraculous in comparison. This makes His care for me and all others like me so immense and grand. This makes His love so extraordinary, with no need for reason or return.



And as I look around at the glowing snow that rests on the lawns of this tranquil neighborhood that He happened to let me live this life in, and as I realize it could all crumble around me with any ticking of that clock on the wall, I feel a strange smile rise on my face in this soft vulnerability.

For He is all things.
For He is unyielding and enduring.
He is abundance and warmth in comfort.
He is deepest healing and redemption and renewing.
He is everlasting though this world and all the good things and I am not.
I am not.
But Christ in me is.



Just as the sun illuminates this beautiful and crazed world, His promise reaches into my darkness, none of it too far.
And I wear this brightness about my soul as I face this life, smile not wavering for I have Christ, and I, alone, am not enough.

But He is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment