Friday, November 30, 2012

The Flip-Open Effect

God's ways are SO above our ways (Isaiah 55:9), and He never ceases to remind me of that as I go through life, especially just when I think I have a handle on things.

In fact, there are few things I love more in life than when God knocks me flat on my rear-end, whether it be in humbling correction, awe-struck wonder, or just a reminder that He is Lord and that I'm nothing without Him.

This wonderful sensation of God's crazy presence occurred yesterday after a less-than-peachy doctor's visit. Sure, I've come a long way in my recovery from anorexia, but as I prepare to make the leap from Phase 1 to Phase 2 of treatment, there is no denying that the calorie/fat/carb-obsessed, food-restricting thoughts that planted me in a hospital bed are doing all they can to fight the return of health to my body. It's a daily battle, and sometimes I feel like I'm losing.

BUT THEN...

During my quiet time with God, I decided there was nothing speaking to me that day. My heart was hardening, I felt a bit discouraged.

Then, I had some random inclination to read the book of Hebrews. Why? I have NO idea. So, I flipped open to the book, and picked the last chapter to read. And a single verse in that chapter jumped out at me and could not have been more perfect for my heart at that time:

"Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited."
-Hebrews 13:9.

God reminded me that day of what he overwhelmingly told me in the hospital:

Grace is all I need to be thinking on. 

Things of the Spirit are all that matter.

Look what happened when you thought and obsessed "occupied" yourself otherwise-- you almost had a heart attack.

I would certainly not call that "being benefited." 

I believe that God caused me to have that need to read Hebrews. I believe He allowed me to flip open my book to that chapter, and have that verse practically jump from the pages and grab me by the collar.

God's ways are crazy, sometimes unexplainable and irrational, but there is no denying that they exist and that they are so wonderful!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment